American Or British English?Read the following sentences and
make sure you understand the words in BOLD writing.
- There are more than a thousand words that have different meanings or usages in British and American English.
- British and American spelling (of the same words) is always identical although the meanings may not be the same.
- More people in the world speak American English than speak British English, if you include speakers of English as a second language .
- British school children are penalized for using American English in their school-work because many teachers still think that British English is “better”.
- Some American movies need to be subtitled when they are shown in Britain (because some American accents are difficult for British listeners to understand).
- Some British-English movies need to be subtitled or dubbed so that audiences in the USA are able to understand them.
- Canadian English bears a strong resemblance to United States’ English but they are not identical.
- There are a few subtle differences between the American and British grammars.
- All English loan words in European languages come from British English.
- British English is closer to the original language that was spoken before the two “languages” diverged in the eighteenth century.
Do you think these sentences are true or false?
Discuss your ideas with other class members.Copyright © 2002 by Charlie Marshall
American or British English – Discussion sheet with vocabulary exercise